Check System
Send us your comment!

Your comment will be read by our web staff, but will not be published.

Please do not enter any personal information. Your comment is voluntary and will remain anonymous, therefore we do not collect any information which would enable us to respond to any inquiries.

However, provides a How to Contact the IRS page where you will find guidance on where to submit specific questions.

Share this presentation
Copy and paste the following URL to share this presentation
To email a link to this presentation, click the following:
This program writes a small 'cookie' locally on your computer when you set a bookmark.
If you want to utilize this feature, check the following checkbox. Otherwise, bookmarks will be disabled.
This is an IRS
audio presentation.

To view this page, ensure that Adobe Flash Player
version 10 or greater is installed.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's a tip from the IRS.

Hi, I’m Helen… and I work for the Internal Revenue Service.

Is your business closing? If so, make sure you file the right tax returns for the year you close. And if you have employees, you must also deposit payroll taxes.

You’ll file a different form depending on whether you are a corporation, an ‘S’ corporation, a partnership, or a sole proprietor.

If you sell food or beverages, make sure you report tips. And be sure to mark "final return” in the correct space on the form.

Your employees will need their W-2s for the year the business closed so they can file individual returns.

If you have an employer identification number or an EIN, write to the IRS to close the account. The EIN will still belong to the business, so you can use it again later. You should also make sure the business has met all its state and local responsibilities. For more information, including a checklist, go to and type the words "closing a business" in the search box.